Migrate your IaaS resources to Azure Resource Manager by September 6, 2023
Today, about 90 per cent of the IaaS VMs are using Azure Resource Manager. If you use IaaS resources through ASM, start planning your migration now. Complete it by September 6, 2023, to take advantage of Azure Resource Manager.
How does this affect you?
- On September 6, 2023, customers will no longer be able to start IaaS VMs by using ASM. Any that are still running or allocated will be stopped and deallocated.
- On September 6, 2023, subscriptions that are not migrated to Azure Resource Manager will be informed regarding timelines for deleting any remaining VMs (classic).
What next steps should I take?
To start planning the migration to Azure Resource Manager and identify the affected VMs, follow these steps:
1. Check the affected VMs:
Navigate to the Azure portal (https://portal.azure.com/), go to the "Virtual machines (classic)" pane and identify all VMs listed there. These are the affected VMs that need to be migrated.
2. Learn more about the migration process
For more information, see Frequently asked questions about Classic to Azure Resource Manager migration.
3. Use the Platform Support Migration Tool:
Begin the migration planning process by using the Platform Support Migration Tool. Follow the three easy steps provided by the tool: validate, prepare, and commit.
- The "validate" step will identify any unsupported scenarios for migration without impacting the existing deployment.
- Review the list of workarounds to fix the identified issues and make your deployment ready for migration.
- Once all validation errors are addressed, proceed to the "prepare" and "commit" steps to initiate the migration.
The migration tool aims to minimise or eliminate downtime during the migration process.
4. Contact your IT Partner for Technical Assistance:
We are here to help you with this. So, get in touch with us now, and we can help you make a head start before the deadline.
5. Complete Migration as Soon as Possible:
To prevent business impact and to take advantage of the improved performance, security, and new features of Azure Resource Manager, complete the migration as soon as possible.
Keep in mind that a successful migration to Azure Resource Manager will enable you to manage your deployments using the new APIs exposed by Azure Resource Manager, enhancing your overall cloud management experience.