With cyber threats growing year-on-year, our organisations need to invest in our security posture to avoid attacks.
Today, we are excited to introduce Microsoft Security Copilot, a new age of security, shaped by the power of OpenAI’s GPT-4 generative AI, allowing defenders to stay ahead of attackers at the speed of AI.
The current security landscape
With the rise in cyber threats, cybersecurity experts are working tirelessly to defend our organisations. Too often, they fight an asymmetric battle against prolific, relentless and sophisticated attackers. To protect our organisations, defenders must respond to threats that are often disguising themselves to hide in plain sight. The growth in attackers has encouraged a global shortage of security experts, with an estimated 3.4 million job vacancies in the field.
The magnitude and ferocity of these attacks have meant that we are constantly having to analyse new ways to protect our organisations to support and empower defenders in their roles.
With new AI technologies capturing the world's attention, Microsoft has utilised its powers to create a new era of security. By combining Microsoft’s leading security technologies with the latest advancements in AI, today we bring you Microsoft Security Copilot.
Microsoft Security Copilot - How does it work?
Microsoft Security Copilot is the first security product to enable defenders to move at the speed and scale of AI. Security Copilot combines this advanced large language model (LLM) with a security-specific model from Microsoft. This security-specific model is informed by Microsoft’s unique global threat intelligence and can receive more than 65 trillion daily signals.
So, how does it work?
- Detecting even the most concealed threats - Security Copilot can help catch what other approaches might miss and augment an analyst’s work. In a typical incident, this boost translates into gains in the quality of detection, speed of response and ability to strengthen security posture.
- Continuous improvement - Security Copilot is a closed-loop learning system, which means it’s continually learning from users and giving them the opportunity to give explicit feedback with the feedback feature that is built directly into the tool. As we continue to learn from these interactions, we are adjusting its responses to create more coherent, relevant and useful answers.
- Integration with your security infrastructure - Security Copilot also integrates with the end-to-end Microsoft Security products, and over time it will expand to a growing ecosystem of third-party products, enabling organisations to truly defend at machine speed.
- Collaboration whilst protecting your data - Microsoft has built Security Copilot with security teams in mind, ensuring that each team's data remains protected, meaning your organisation's data will not be used to train the foundation AI models, and in fact, it is protected by the most comprehensive enterprise compliance and security controls. While remaining private, each user interaction can be easily shared with other team members to accelerate incident response, collaborate more effectively on complex problems and develop collective skills.
Empowering defenders with new technology
Human creativity and knowledge will always be vital for defence. Security Copilot can augment security professionals with machine speed and scale, so human ingenuity is deployed where it matters most. In delivering this experience, Microsoft has guided Security Copilot around three principles:
- Simplify the complex - With Security Copilot, defenders can respond to security incidents within minutes instead of hours or days. Security Copilot delivers critical step-by-step guidance and context through a natural language-based investigation experience that accelerates incident investigation and response.
- Catch what others miss - Defenders can now discover threat signals that could otherwise go undetected. Security Copilot surfaces prioritised threats in real time and anticipates a threat actor’s next move, as well as delivering skills that represent the expertise of security analysts in areas such as threat hunting, incident response and vulnerability management.
- Address the talent gap - As mentioned above, the rise in attacks has led to a shortage of skilled security professionals. Therefore, we need to support our defenders as best we can. Security Copilot boosts your defenders’ skills with its ability to answer security-related questions – from the basic to the complex. Security Copilot continually learns from user interactions, adapts to enterprise preferences, and advises defenders on the best course of action to achieve more secure outcomes.
A security solution that is unmatched
With Security Copilot, Microsoft has combined their leading security technologies with the latest advancements in AI. By working with Security Copilot, organisations get access to unrivalled security AI capabilities, including:
- Ongoing access to the most advanced OpenAI models to support the most demanding security tasks and applications
- A security-specific model that benefits from continuous reinforcement, learning and user feedback to meet the unique needs of security professionals.
- Visibility and threat intelligence encapsulating your organisation’s security landscape and the 65 trillion threat signals Microsoft sees every day to ensure that security teams are operating with the latest knowledge of attackers, their tactics, techniques, and procedures.
- Integration with Microsoft’s end-to-end security portfolio for a highly efficient experience that builds on security signals.
- A growing list of unique skills that elevate the expertise of security teams and set the bar higher for what is possible even under limited resources.
Security AI that protects your organisation
Without a doubt, AI will transform how organisations around the world interact with security technologies. To achieve their highest potential, security AI solutions must be delivered in a safe, secure and responsible way.
With Security Copilot, Microsoft is committed to impactful and responsible AI practices by innovating responsibly, empowering others, and creating a positive impact. When delivering Security Copilot, they stand by the following:
- Your data is your data. It’s yours to own and control, and yours to choose how you want to leverage and monetise.
- Your data is not used to train or enrich foundation AI models used by others – no one beyond your organisation is benefiting from AI trained on your data or business processes.
- Your data and AI models are protected at every step by the most comprehensive enterprise compliance and security controls in the industry.